Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bike Repair

I've wanted to learn how to do more advanced maintenance on my bikes, and I got the opportunity today. After an hour or so riding around Berry Creek and Singletree, my bike wouldn't shift into the largest cogs, which I need for climbing hills. I got home and decided to overhaul my rear derailleur. I studied up on how to do it and went to work. I even got to use my new chain tool to remove the chain. After over an hour of tinkering and experimenting, I was up and running again. The drivetrain on my mountain bike is pretty shot and needs to be replaced, so it still has some kinks. For instance, the chain link that reconnects the chain is now frozen and won't bend like it is supposed to. So the chain ends up slipping every time that link goes over the cogs. I learned alot from the whole experience. I could have just tightened the cable and not messed with anything else to solve the problem, but then I wouldn't have learned anything. Here's a shot from the top of the first climb I did.


I also took this panorama which turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yo dan! a group of us from UFCU were talking about you last night...people are trying to rally a group to come crash your scene in Colorado. can you handle it?????