Thursday, November 13, 2008

Embarassing

I attended my second day of ski conditioning last Monday. I'm hoping that preparing for the ski season will help me with better technique and keep me skiing harder and longer... as long as I don't do stupid shit like I did on Monday.

I met the group at the gym and joined them for a fast paced walk on the treadmill. My left knee has been a bit sore since my 35 mile bike ride on Halloween, so I didn't want to hurt it by jogging/running. The girl on my right told me she saw me as I was walking in but didn't say anything because I was pretty far ahead. We don't have a membership to this place, so we have to sneak in. I was in the process of explaining that I was trying to act natural and not draw attention to myself as I was walking in when I stepped a bit too far to the right, off the treadmill. I barely caught myself before being tossed like a rag doll off the back of the treadmill. Just about everybody on that side of the gym turned to see what the commotion was, resulting in my beet red face.


After laughing it off, we went in the studio room to start our workout. Typically we set up 4 stations and rotate between them for 15 minutes. Rest for a few minutes, set up 4 more stations and rotate for another 15 minutes. Then comes core work. So after busting my butt working out, it was time to relax and go eat some wings at the Tap Room. Of course I couldn't leave before a bit of goofing off. In the corner of the room is one of those boxing dummies that you see in police training and stuff. They always make them look so mean.

One of the girls was kicking it and I took it upon myself to show her a little different technique (not that I know any). I showed her how to raise your leg with your knee bent and then extend your lower leg to impact the dummy. My first kick was great, right in the chest. Then I decided to go for the head. Mistake. I jumped up and ended up on my ass. I had to redeem myself so I tried it again. Only this time I jumped too high and managed to come down on the top of the head with my heel like a karate chop. Again resulting in Dan on his ass. I finally wised up and decided the end of a workout was not the best time to horse around. No need to strain something before the season even starts.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Hahaha... Boys are funny.

Dan said...

If by funny you mean stupid, then yes... Boys are funny.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me my first full-bellied, out-loud laugh of the day...

Dave

Dan said...

Any time bro!