Monday, November 17, 2008

Phone Angst

My phone is not making me happy. First of all, let me say that taking my phone was a mistake and I realize this. I went on a night-time, moonlight hike Saturday night. It was about 2 days after a full moon, so it was super bright. We hiked about 3/4 of the way up Beaver Creek before we turned around. One of our hiking partners just moved up here and wasn't handling the combination of altitude and cardio exercise very well. The two girls took off ahead but I stayed back with the newbie to make sure he was ok. The snowmaking machines were blowing away which made it hard to hear each other even from 10 feet away. The last thing I wanted to happen was for him to drop back, get altitude sickness or something, and us to be out of ear shot.

Anyways, I'm not sure what happened but when I checked my phone after we got back, it was in orgasm mode. I guess the keys were stuck because it kept typing "Uouououououououououou." Now it just chooses to work sometimes and not others. Come to think of it, it pretty much sounds like my phone has turned into... (insert joke here).

After pulling out the battery and SIM card several times and leaving them out, it still is not working a day and a half later. Don't know if it got wet from my leg sweat (I was wearing water proof wants so I know it wasn't from the outside... and get those dirty thoughts out of your head. I wasn't THAT excited about the hike.), frozen from the hike causing some kind of permanent damage, or if it took some kind of impact as we slid back down the hill. But the majority of the sliding was on my butt and the phone was in my front pocket.

Now I can pull the battery out, put it back in, and I may or may not be able to use it correctly for about 2 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't respond to me pushing any buttons, sometimes it won't register when I click the trackball in, other times it just laughs at me.

It's a Blackberry Curve 8310 and I have only had it since July. I decided to buy phone insurance after my last phone fiasco. Of course there is a $100 deductible to get my new phone replaced (probably with a refurbished model) and I can get a brand spanking new one online for only $80 (after rebates and re-signing a contract). Guess I'll be cancelling that insurance to save the $5/month.

That's all I got. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Jane said...

I canceled phone insurance for the same reason ($100 deductible? I'd been paying $5 a month for two freaking years!).

You could try taking the battery off and blowing both the battery and the back of the phone with a hairdryer (on the lowest setting, from at least 12 inches away) to see if there's any moisture in there causing the problem. Other than that, I got nuthin.

Tiffany & Brandon said...

cancel your entire service, move to verizon and get the Storm. mmmmm, I can't wait!

Dan said...

I'd love to, but I just signed a new contract when I got this phone. The Storm does look beautiful, though!

p.s. My phone seems to be working again!

Carolina said...

oh man! i have that phone. got it after someone busted into my car
:( and stole my whole purse out of my trunk with the iPhone i saved forever to buy. i am still trying to fig the phone out but it's not so user friendly in my opinion.
crackberry.com is supposedly very helpful..