Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Starting the Ski Season

Chris convinced me to join him last Sunday to pop our 08/09-ski-season-cherry. He didn't have to try very hard considering that he paid for my lift ticket to Loveland Basin. His only stipulation was that we had to leave early enough to get there for first chair (we weren't actually on THE first chair, but we were in line before the lift opened). Good thing I got an extra hour of sleep from the time change. It allowed me to recover a little bit from the defeat Texas suffered the night before. My friend was having her birthday party that night and the theme was "Black and White Party." People talked of going in tighty-whitey's and wife beaters or panda suits, but I opted for formal wear and my graduation gown. I arrived at the party just in time for the RedNecks to score a touchdown with one second left. Here was my reaction.





So, back to a lighter note, here was me the next day when we got on the lift.





If you closely examine my eyes and the expression on my face, you will see that my mood had improved considerably. It's hard for it not to when you have views like this are you are riding up the lift.





Chris and I always manage to have a good time whilst (yes, I said whilst) skiing. Especially on the lift. We often brake into song. Sometimes that may not be the best thing for the bleeding ears around us, but it certainly makes us feel better. Sunday was no exception. Our inspiration? A snowmaking machine called a Polecat.


In our grand tradition of ridiculousness, we came up with our own version of "What's New Pussycat?" It turned into "What's new Polecat... snooooooow snoooow snow."

Since we got there so early, we were able to enjoy great snow before the hordes arrived and the day warmed the soft powder into melting butter. I was a bit nervous at first to get back on my skis, but after a few runs my confidence returned in glorious fashion. Now I remember why I love skiing so much... bombing down the run and hitting little jumps along the way. Now I'm looking forward to as much skiing as I can get in this season.

No comments: