Monday, September 8, 2008

Buffalo Bicycle Classic

I drove down to Boulder this weekend for the Buffalo Bicycle Classic that I was preparing for. It was a 100 mile ride from the football stadium at CU to Horsetooth Reservoir in Fort Collins. The weather was perfect. A little chilly in the morning, but perfectly comfortable for most of the ride. It got a little warm in the afternoon, but nothing like Texas heat. Vail Resorts had a group of riders, but I didn't really know anybody. I tagged along with random groups and pacelines at the beginning and ended up riding by myself from about mile 25 to mile 50. I was riding really strong and passing alot of people during that section. I can't imagine how much faster I would have been if I rode that section with a paceline.

After eating a few snacks at the midway point of Horsetooth Reservoir, it was time to make the trek back to Boulder. I ended up meeting a guy who works in our finance department in Broomfield, Chris, and we rode most of the way back together. The ride is much more enjoyable when you have people to talk to or ride with. I sucked down a gel with about 35 miles to go because I was starting to feel a little tired. We got a paceline together with Chris, Lee (who is a financial analyst in Broomfield) and a few other guys. My gel kicked in and I started riding pretty hard, leading our paceline. At one point I bombed it up a hill, staying in the same gears and keeping the same cadence. One of the other guys in our line caught up and told me I had dropped everyone so I slowed down. After we got back together and rode awhile, Chris dropped off the back as we rounded an s-corner and climbed another short but steep hill. By this point my gel was wearing off and I got dropped. I knew the ride would be much easier if I stayed with the group. Time to suck it up and pound the pedals to catch back up. Somehow I managed to catch them. Eventually Chris caught back up as well so our group of about 6-8 was back together... At least for a little bit. Chris got dropped again and I was really feeling it. With about 9.5 miles left, our group started hammering and I got dropped again. I was wasted. After my demoralizing drop, I decided to eat another gel so I could make it to the finish without having to walk my bike. That gel kicked in with a few miles left so I followed another group in to the finish line.

Pasta has never tasted so good. I was really happy that the line for food was short and quick. They are usually long at events like this. So either I finished fast enough to get to the food before the rush (possible) or they had it well planned (more likely). I didn't stay at the finish long because I was ready for a nap. I headed back to my friends apartment which was about 4-5 blocks from the event and passed out on their couch for about 2 hours before driving back to Edwards.

It had been so long since I went on a long ride with other people that I forgot how much fun it is. I'll have to be more pro-active in seeking out these events in the future. The only problem is that most organized rides are charity rides where you have to raise several hundred dollars and I feel guilty asking people for donations so I can ride my bike.

No comments: