Friday, September 19, 2008

Ideal Living Situation

Over the years I have developed a hazy picture of how I want to live my life. It is far from complete and I haven't put much thought into it, but maybe it is time to do so. Here is a rough draft of things that I think would make me happier.

I would really like to live in a place where I can ride my bike or use reliable public transportation to get to the places I frequent the most. For example: work, grocery store, restaurants, gym, pub/bar, stores, friends houses. I'm sure I could think of more places. This comes out of a desire to use my car less and stay in shape by commuting via bike. Living 12-15 miles from where I work doesn't make it very easy to commute every day. Especially since it is mostly uphill on the way to work. And there is no way I could ride to work during the winter, which is 7-8 months out of the year. At the same time, if I was truly dedicated I could make it work during the summer. I just hate getting up an hour earlier.

I want a job that allows me flexibility in my schedule. I want to be able to take a 2 hour lunch break to go exercise and have a nice lunch. I don't mind eating at my desk if that helps me get more free time during lunch. Or if I feel like sleeping in a little bit, I'd like to not feel bad about it and be able to make the hours up later in the day.

I'd like to find affordable yoga that I can attend on a regular basis, maybe twice a week. I felt much more relaxed in general when I used to go to yoga with my sister in the morning. My flexibility was also alot better and I didn't get as sore from exercise.

Speaking of exercise, I'd like to have access to a gym and work out on a regular basis. It would be nice to have a few friends to go running or riding with. Helps with the motivation and dedication. The UFCU "Fast Cash" team was good for that.

Looking back at my list, it is more of ways I want to improve my current living situation. I feel somewhat helpless at this point to change some of them until I move back to Austin. I'm pretty strapped for cash and can't change too much in such a short time frame. I'll just need to make sure I keep this stuff in mind when I do move.

No comments: