Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Poker

After a little evening bouldering and gas-inducing-burrito dinner, I played some Texas Hold 'Em with Luke, his girlfriend Steffi, and her brother Max. Obviously I had the upper hand because I'm the only one who has ever lived in Texas. First hand I was dealt a pair of Jacks. Awesome. So I go out betting big. Steffi and Max quickly fold, but Luke keeps betting along with me. The flop comes down and it's a 7 and two other low cards, all of different suit (no chance of a flush) and not close enough for a straight. So as Luke and I progress to bet about 3/4 of the chips we started with. He finally calls me and what does he have but a pair of pocket 7's, giving him a three of a kind. And I still just have my Jacks. (insert sad face here)



We keep playing and I keep getting crappy cards that I quickly fold. My funds were running pretty low when I finally get a pair of pocket 9's. I decide it's time to bet big. Max and Steffi were playing as a team now. Steffi had left the game earlier because Luke and I kept talking in our gay German accents (Steffi and Max are both straight outta Germany). They kept whispering and giggling in German (yes, you can giggle in German) as they called all of my bets. Luke had folded quickly. After the flop and the turn, I went all in because I didn't have too many more chips. They continued giggling in German and called again. I flipped my hand over to reveal my pair of 9's. They flipped their's over to reveal a pair of Kings. BOLLOCKS! The only thing that would help me win was another 9. So I dealt the final card out of custom. And what do you know... another 9 came down and I was the BIG winner.


We kept playing for a while and Luke eventually won the remainder of the chips that Steffi and Max had. It looked like Luke had more chips than I did, so I suggested we call it a game. He agreed and we started counting our chips. I ended up with $11.39. He kept counting his chips as he approached $10, $10.25, $10.70, $11.25. And finally, "I've got $11.27" he said proudly. A grin spread across my face.


2 comments:

Jane said...

Well done! Unlike you, I'm terrible at poker... Are you going to be back for ACL?

Dan said...

Heck YEAH!!! I can't wait to visit my favorite city and see all my friends... like YOU! Are you going to ACL at all?