Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lazy Weekend, Great Jog

I had the house to myself this past weekend. Bittersweet. It's always nice to have the house to yourself every once in a while, but at the same time, I wouldn't have minded a little company. My waking hours were spent watching football (fall is here for sure), playing computer games until the wee hours of the morning, and exercising (so I wouldn't be a complete loser). This was the first opportunity I have had in months where I didn't really do jack squat on a weekend. Between hiking mountains, camping, traveling, attending a music festival, and drinking heavily, my weekends have been pretty jam packed since mid-June.

My usual jogging trail from home takes me along a hike and bike trail next to the road. This weekend I opted to do some trail running through one of the Eagle County Open Spaces. It's basically just on the other side of the river from the hike and bike trail. Main benefit... open space and no road. It was picture perfect outside. I'll have to go back down there to snap some shots before all the leaves start falling off the trees. Close your eyes and imagine this... (ok, so have someone read it to you so you can close your eyes) a gentle river trickling by on your right, perfect temperature (you can wear a long sleeve top without sweating and still have the slightest twinge of a chill on your legs), puffy cotton-ball clouds spotting a crystal blue sky, and yellow trees scattered around the path with a light covering of golden leaf on the ground. It reminded me of something you would see in a magazine. Who knows, maybe someone has been down there before to take pictures for some magazine cover. Anyway, despite the fact that it was really great to get out of the house, it was a perfect day for a jog. I've also been trying to worry less about my pace when I jog. Instead of pushing myself to my jogging limit, I let myself breathe and enjoy the experience. Something I had forgot about until I went jogging with Shiloh while I was in San Marcos. Thanks sweetness.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love running in cold weather. Sigh.

Dan said...

I love running in cool weather; I can't breathe in cold weather.